Want to make a difference in a young person’s life today? Join Break the Cycle as a volunteer! Our volunteer program engages young people and adults in furthering our mission, as well as creating opportunities for leadership, activism, skill building and fundraising. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
National Youth Advisory Board
Our National Youth Advisory Board (NYAB) consists of 24 hardworking and dedicated individuals who work together to represent youth of all ages, backgrounds and communities. Ranging in age from 13-24, our NYAB members consist of middle school, high school and college students and young people not in school. The board provides insights and feedback on every aspect of loveisrespect, writes blogs for the site, hosts events across the country to raise awareness, meets monthly and generally promotes youth empowerment, awareness and success. They’re also an integral part of teenDVmonth by hosting Respect Week, a chance for young people to stand together nationwide and promote healthy relationships.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and résumé specifying your interest in the position by email at email@example.com.
Youth Leadership & Engagement Interns Intern (in Los Angeles only)
Youth Leadership & Engagement Interns help build an on-the-ground movement of young people to create a culture without abuse. Interns receive training on domestic and dating violence, Break the Cycle's services and other relevant areas.
Responsibilities may include:
- Researching and updating database of local schools and youth programs
- Organizing youth events and distribution of resources
- Training volunteers to implement youth workshops
- Assisting with research projects, community outreach and other support as needed
Donor Relations Intern
Donor Relations Interns will learn what it takes for a nonprofit organization to maintain sustaining support from individual donors as well as gain experience in promotion and fundraising for Break the Cycle. Responsibilities may include:
- Helping to maintain and cultivate Break the Cycle’s donor campaign
- Assisting with Break the Cycle events, including logistics, silent auction coordination and PR
- Individual donor research and outreach
- Assisting with other fundraising and community relations efforts including our volunteer program, press kits, data entry, social media outlets and other duties as needed
Grants and Research Intern
Grants and Research interns learn what it takes to fundraise, write grants and conduct research for a national nonprofit organization. Responsibilities may include:
- Researching foundation and corporation funding opportunities that fit with Break the Cycle’s mission and work to end dating abuse
- Filtering funding opportunities
- Working with the Foundation & Government Relations Specialist in developing and submitting grant applications
- Performing literal and statistical research on dating and domestic violence trends, prevalence rates and percentages
- Researching various forums for factual and statistical information
Management Intern (in Los Angeles only)
Management Interns participate in all facets of nonprofit management, working side-by-side with Break the Cycle's Operations Manager. Responsibilities may include:
- Conducting research on organizational best practices and policies
- Preparing reports and communications for management team
- Assisting with logistics and planning for board, staff, donor and community meetings
- Providing general administrative support as needed