This survey on teens and dating abuse reveals that an alarming number of teens in dating relationships are being controlled, threatened and humiliated through cell phones and the Internet with unimaginable frequency. The research also reveals disturbing data that a significant majority of parents are completely unaware of this type of dating abuse and the dangers facing their teens. Other key findings include:
- Teens report dating abuse via technology is a serious problem.
- Cell phone calls and texting at unimaginable frequency mean constant control day and night.
- Parents do not know about dating teens' constant contact.
- Cell phones and Internet have become weapons of teen dating abuse.
- Parents do not know about this abuse.
- Parents believe technology makes dating abuse more prevalent and more hidden -- yet few are doing anything about it.
- Parents also do not know that their teens are victims of physical and sexual abuse
About the Report
The survey was conducted by Teenage Research Unlimited (TRU) for Fifth & Pacific Companies, Inc. (formerly Liz Claiborne Inc.). Teens surveyed range in age from 13-18.
Get the Full Report
Download the full report for more information on the role of technology in dating abuse.