About the Checklist
The Healthy Me, Healthy We Teen DV Month Checklist gives you the tools to start raising awareness about dating abuse in your community! Break the Cycle has put together 28 ways for you to be involved this February along with 28 resources to help you start checking items off the list. We've even designed two different versions so you can choose the checklist style that will work best for your community.
How many activities can you accomplish during Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month? Let us know on social media by using the hashtags #healthymehealthywe and #teendvmonth! Find more resources, activities, and inspiration on the other pages under the Teen DV Month menu.
For every item on the checklist, we've put together a resource so you can check it off the list! Find clickable links to each resource below.
- Find your school's handbook and look for their Title IX information and harassment policies.
- Check with your local court system. In DC, call BTC to schedule a Know Your Rights workshop: 202-849-6289
- Start with resources like victimconnect.org, breakthecycle.org, and rainn.org to find laws in your state.
- Learn about the 5 types of abuse here.
- Jumpstart self-love: Shine Text sends you a motivational message to start your day on a high note.
- Check out Break the Cycle's webinar on 2/28/18. Details coming soon...
- Start thinking about boundaries with our handouts and blogs.
- Ask your relationship questions on our Snapchat show, Taco Bout It Tuesday.
- Tag us in your self-love picture on Twitter: @breakthecycledv
- Show others how to get help if they are in an abusive situation: text "loveis" to 22522 or call 866-331-9474
- Share your friend's photo on Instagram and tag @breakthecycle
- We love the song "That's Not Love" by Let's Be Real member, Scarlet de Lemeny to remind us of healthy love.
- Follow our Instagram to see some of our favorite affirmations this month: @breakthecycle
- Check out BTC's healthy relationship must-have qualities.
- Young people join the movement to end abuse with Let's Be Real, and adults join the Love Is Not Abuse coalition.
- Find a sample safety plan here.
- Get inspired with Break the Cycle's year of Spotify playlists focused on healthy relationships: breakthecycledv
- Use this video to help you consider your relationship wishlist.
- Read self-care day ideas in our Love Is Not Abuse Facebook chat.
- Donate to BTC here.
- Wear a youth-designed shirt to help you celebrate #Orange4Love.
Educate Your Community
- Do a quick google search of your county to find what services are available in your area. Or use Break the Cycle as an example!
- Plan your Chalk About Love dating abuse awareness event.
- Request a Real Talk Guide to help start meaningful conversations about relationships with your peers.
- Download the It's Time To Talk guide for Relationship Talk conversation starters.
- Find the statistics and background information you need for educational events here.
- Learn more about the warning signs of dating abuse.
- Bring Break the Cycle to your school or workplace: request a training.
More To Do!
Host a Real Talk with our Healthy Me, Healthy We Mini Guide
A condensed version of our original Real Talk guide, this mini guide contains facilitation tips, questions tied to the 2018 Teen DV Month theme, and hosting must-haves. Download yours here. Let us know if you used the kit for a chance to be featured on our website! This Teen DV Month PSA video created by the Consolidated Youth TA Team is an excellent example of types of conversations that can happen in a Real Talk as well as an excellent stand-alone tool for facilitating conversations between youth and adults.
Valentines & Vino
An evening of crafting and conversation for a great cause! We’ll provide all the materials you need to craft your heart out and make Valentines for everyone you love. We’ll also have wine and desserts to fuel your conversations about healthy relationships. After you've purchased your tickets, be sure to RSVP to the event on Facebook. UPDATE** This was a fantastic event and we loved spending time with Los Angeles community. If you would like to provide feedback or share photos from the event, please email us.
Join our Thunderclap
Use your social media accounts to get Teen DV Month and healthy relationships trending on February 1st! Sign up for the Thunderclap using any of your social accounts, then authorize the app to post for you. If we reach 100 supporters, Thunderclap will send out a message on all of the supporters' accounts to announce that February is Teen DV Month and everyone deserves a healthy relationship! Join the Thunderclap and share with your social networks so we can reach our goal. UPDATE** We not only met our goals - we LEAPED over them and exceeded our second goal of a 500,000 social reach. Check out the infographic to see what we accomplished!