About Break the Cycle
Internships, Washington, DC
Our Mission and Services
Break the Cycle is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to engage, educate and empower youth to build lives and communities free from dating and domestic violence. Break the Cycle's Washington, DC Office provides preventive education to young people, educators, parents, and other adults who work with youth; offers free and confidential legal services to youth, ages 12 to 24, who are experiencing violence in their relationships or homes; and trains young people to speak out against domestic and dating violence and to become the next generation of leaders in the fight against domestic violence. Break the Cycle works with local agencies and service providers to develop laws and policies to improve the lives of abused youth in the Washington Metropolitan area. Break the Cycle Washington, DC also serves as the national policy office for Break the Cycle, engaging in public policy advocacy on the federal level to empower youth to end domestic violence.
Break the Cycle is committed to creating a safe, supportive workplace. We are looking for talented, flexible people with the drive needed for a growing nonprofit. Applicants must be committed to working for and with youth to create a community where all are empowered to seek safe, healthy relationships throughout their lives.
Break the Cycle Washington, DC's full-time and part-time law student, graduate student, undergraduate and other interns have the opportunity to be exposed to a wide range of work and experiences. Legal interns perform traditional legal research and writing on various domestic violence, family, criminal and general public interest law issues. The research conducted is on issues that affect the lives and safety of the youth that Break the Cycle serves. Interns also work with Break the Cycle staff attorneys to do client intake, safety planning, case preparation, court accompaniment, and drafting legal documents. They are also trained to take crisis calls and provide referrals and advocacy. Interns teach Ending Violence: A Curriculum for Educating Teens on Domestic Violence and the Law, attend community meetings, and conduct various other forms of outreach. Media work as well as legislative drafting and policy work is also a possibility.
Break the Cycle is an equal opportunity employer.
E-mail, fax or mail cover letter, resume and contact information for 3 references to:
Juley Fulcher, Director
View printable version.
Summer full-time intern applications accepted until March 15. Fall full-time and part-time intern applications accepted until August 31. Spring full-time and part-time intern applications accepted until December 15. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Internships, Los Angeles
Looking to start a career in nonprofits, PR or special events? Want to help change the world? Break the Cycle is seeking interns to join our team of energetic professionals committed to social change! Break the Cycle is a domestic violence law center that promotes the health and protects the rights of youth. Break the Cycle is accepting applications for three types of internships:
Development & Communications (Several positions available)
Development & Communications Interns will work with our development team, providing support in the areas of fundraising, grants and public relations. Responsibilities may include:
- Researching and profiling foundation, corporate and individual donor prospects.
- Coordinating, marketing and soliciting donations for Break the Cycle's Spring Cleaning Online Auction 2007.
- Building community relations.
- Developing and drafting grant proposals.
- Maintaining press logs, and publicizing Break the Cycle to local and national media.
- Assisting with the planning of Break the Cycle's annual fundraising event - Savor the Season.
- Creating and coordinating organizational systems.
Programs (Several positions available)
The Program Interns provide support to our staff in the delivery of direct services to youth ages 12 to 24. Interns will receive training on domestic and dating violence, Break the Cycle's services, and other relevant areas.
- Teaching Break the Cycle's preventive education program in middle schools, high schools, after-school programs, community organizations and youth groups.
- Responding to crisis calls and emails from people seeking help and information.
- Working with our youth peer leadership program in high schools and youth groups.
- Creating a listing of nation-wide referrals for victims of domestic and dating violence.
- Assisting with outreach and other administrative support for Break the Cycle's educational and programmatic goals.
- Drafting and updating educational materials or assisting with original research.
Student Liaison (Several positions available)
Student Liaisons raise awareness about dating and domestic violence on their college campus by distributing information and coordinating outreach events. Student Liaisons learn about domestic and dating violence, Break the Cycle and outreach strategies. Projects and training are determined based on intern's interests, skills and experience. Student Liaisons work primarily on their college campus. Examples of projects include:
- Staffing information tables at campus events (i.e.-Take Back the Night)
- Coordinating an on-campus poetry night, workshop or other event to raise awareness
- Writing articles on domestic & dating violence for the school newspaper
- Distributing Break the Cycle handouts in campus centers
- Coordinate in-service trainings for college personnel
- Building a team for the City of Los Angeles' annual 5K Walk/Run
Interns work an average of 8-10 hours per week in our offices near LAX. This is an unpaid internship program (length of internship can be discussed).
Undergraduate, graduate and law students are welcome to apply. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Mail, fax or email cover letter and resume to:
Break the Cycle
Please use the title of the internship you are applying for as your subject line.
View printable version.