BREAK THE CYCLE
New York Office
Break the Cycle’s New York office was launched in September, 2003 in order to bring Break the Cycle’s innovative and proven-effective domestic violence prevention and early intervention services to the local community.
The Need for Break the Cycle’s Services in New York City
Break the Cycle is the first and only organization in New York City to provide law-based domestic violence education and free legal services exclusively to youth. There is a great and irrefutable need for Break the Cycle’s services in this local community. In fact,
- Domestic violence is implicated in 1 out of 5 visits to New York City emergency rooms.
- The New York City Domestic Violence Hotline receives more than 1,500 calls per month from teenagers seeking assistance due to an abusive relationship.
- More than 80% of teenage girls continue to date their abusers after an incident of violence.
Accomplishments and Impact
In 2005, Break the Cycle’s New York office will:
- Educate 2,000 youth throughout the five boroughs on dating abuse and domestic violence, healthy relationships, and their legal rights and responsibilities.
- Train 500 social service providers, school officials and other concerned community members on how to respond to the needs of youth with regard to domestic violence.
- Provide free legal advice, counsel, information and/or representation in English and Spanish to individuals experiencing abuse in their relationships or homes.
- Organize students on college campuses in the five boroughs of New York City to educate and empower them to become domestic violence advocates and leaders in their communities.
For more information about Break the Cycle’s work in New York City, contact:
Break the Cycle
New York Office
P.O. Box 6270, F.D.R. Station
New York, NY 10150